Early-Career and Mid-Career Geoscientist
The Mid-Career and Early-Career Geoscientist positions will be part of a multidisciplinary team supporting and leading research and projects focused on subsurface energy including carbon sequestration, geothermal energy, energy storage, and other subsurface activities such as radioactive waste disposal. The Geoscientists will support several ongoing carbon sequestration projects, as well as future projects and proposals. Job duties could include supporting or running reservoir simulations, geologic mapping, coding, and high-performance computing. Senior candidates will have additional responsibilities including leading or managing projects, developing and writing proposals, developing academic manuscripts, and setting up and executing reservoir simulations. Job Posting on Carbon Solutions LLC: Direct Link
Examples of existing projects and proposal areas that the candidates could support or lead include: CarbonSAFE Initiative: Project support, leadership, and future proposal development for the DOE-FECM CarbonSAFE Initiative
SCO2TPRO: Reservoir simulation, analysis, geologic mapping, and data management for Carbon Solutions’ SCO2TPRO research and software
WyoTCH Hub: Data collection, simulation, and analysis for Carbon Solutions’ WyoTCH Hub project
Minimum Job Requirements (Mid-Career Candidates)
- 𝗗𝗲𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗲 & 𝗲𝘅𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲: A PhD or “master’s plus five years’ experience” in a relevant area such as Hydrogeology, Geology, Earth Science, or Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- 𝗥𝗲𝘀𝗲𝗿𝘃𝗼𝗶𝗿 𝗦𝗶𝗺𝘂𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻: Extensive experience and understanding of reservoir simulation including running software such as STOMP, TOUGH, GEM, and Eclipse.
Minimum Job Requirements (Early-Career Candidates)
- Degree & Experience: A master’s or “bachelor’s plus three years’ experience” in a relevant area such as Hydrogeology, Geology, Earth Science, or Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- Reservoir Simulation: Experience and understanding of reservoir simulation.
Minimum Job Requirements (All Candidates)
- Background: Demonstrated understanding and experience with carbon sequestration.
- Coding: Ability to code in one or more computer languages—such as Python, R, or MATLAB—for scripting, post-processing, and other tasks.
- Low-Carbon Energy: Passion, experience, and willingness to embrace Carbon Solutions’ mission to address low-carbon energy challenges.
- Short Cover Letter: Address all the minimum job requirements, any desired qualifications, and why you would be a good fit for Carbon Solutions. Make sure to indicate if you’re applying as a senior candidate.
- Experience with other subsurface energy applications such as geothermal energy, energy storage, and radioactive waste disposal.
- Experience with multiphase reactive transport models.
- Experience with GIS/GIScience.
- Experience and potential to engage and work with industry clients.
- Experience and potential to work in interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience supporting and leading reports, proposals, and scientific papers.
- Experience or potential to lead major projects (mid-career candidates).
- Experience or potential to lead teams (mid-career candidates).
Experience leading proposal development and writing (mid-career candidates).
- Annual Salary: $80k–$120k, depending on experience.
- 401k retirement plan with company contributions.
- Benefits, including health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Fully remote: Ability to work anywhere within the United States, flexible hours based on Eastern Time zone.
- Company internet, phone service plans, and other work-related items are reimbursed.
30 days Paid Time Off.
About Carbon Solutions
Carbon Solutions is a mission-driven, fast-growing company that addresses 𝗹𝗼𝘄-𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗯𝗼𝗻 𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗿𝗴𝘆 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗻𝗴𝗲𝘀 through 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗰𝗵 & 𝗱𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁, 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘀𝘂𝗹𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗲𝗿𝘃𝗶𝗰𝗲𝘀, and 𝘀𝗼𝗳𝘁𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗱𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁. Energy applications include CO2 capture and storage (CCS), direct air capture (DAC), hydrogen, geothermal energy, wind energy, energy storage, and energy equity & environmental justice. We use a range of data analytics and other technical approaches including infrastructure optimization, GIScience, life cycle assessment (LCA), technoeconomic assessment (TEA), reservoir simulation, machine learning, and policy analysis. The company is fully remote with approximately 35 staff working across the United States.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining our team, please send your resume and cover letter in PDF format to RS2023firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email, update the Subject Line: “[First and Last Name] Geoscientist”. In your cover letter, address all the minimum job requirements, any desired qualifications, and why you would be a good fit for Carbon Solutions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The job opening will be open until 5 pm ET on Friday, October 20th.