Quantitative Social Scientist/Economist
- The 𝐌𝐢𝐝-𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐫 and 𝐄𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐲-𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐫 Quantitative Social Scientist/Economist positions will be part of a multidisciplinary team supporting and leading research and projects focused on a range of energy challenges, with a key emphasis on CCS economics and infrastructure. The candidates will work with Carbon Solutions software and databases including 𝘚𝘪𝘮𝘊𝘊𝘚ᴾᴿᴼ (CCS infrastructure design), 𝘊𝘖₂𝘕𝘊𝘖𝘙𝘋 (CO₂ capture), 𝘊𝘰𝘴𝘵𝘔𝘈𝘗ᴾᴿᴼ (CO₂ transport), and 𝘚𝘊𝘖₂𝘛ᴾᴿᴼ (CO₂ storage). We require economic estimates, modeling, and statistical analysis for a variety of topics, such as job estimates for current and yet-to-be developed industrial sectors, future energy demand, pipeline transportation costs, and carbon capture costs. Successful candidates will have a broad range of experiences in quantitative social science methods, and experience working with scientists and engineers on interdisciplinary projects. More senior candidates will be expected to lead and manage projects and future proposals
- Carbon Solutions (https://www.carbonsolutionsllc.com) is a mission-driven, fast-growing company that addresses 𝗹𝗼𝘄-𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗯𝗼𝗻 𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗿𝗴𝘆 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗻𝗴𝗲𝘀 through 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗰𝗵 & 𝗱𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁, 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘀𝘂𝗹𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗲𝗿𝘃𝗶𝗰𝗲𝘀, and 𝘀𝗼𝗳𝘁𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗱𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁. Energy applications include CO2 capture and storage (CCS), direct air capture (DAC), hydrogen, geothermal energy, wind energy, energy storage, and energy equity & environmental justice. We use a range of data analytics and other technical approaches including infrastructure optimization, GIScience, life cycle assessment (LCA), technoeconomic assessment (TEA), reservoir simulation, machine learning, and policy analysis. The company is fully remote with approximately 35 staff working across the United States.
Minimum Job Requirements
- 𝗗𝗲𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗲 & 𝗲𝘅𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲 (𝗠𝗶𝗱-𝗖𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗿 𝗖𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗲𝘀): A PhD or “master’s plus five years experience” in a relevant area such as major or minor in Economics, Geography, Economic Geography, Regional Science, Sociology, Political Science, Public Policy, and Engineering.
- 𝗗𝗲𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗲 & 𝗲𝘅𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲 (𝗘𝗮𝗿𝗹𝘆-𝗖𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗿 𝗖𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗲𝘀): A master’s or “bachelor’s plus three years experience” in a relevant area such as major or minor in Economics, Geography, Economic Geography, Regional Science, Sociology, Political Science, Public Policy, and Engineering.
- 𝗘𝗻𝗲𝗿𝗴𝘆 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗻𝗴𝗲𝘀: Experience in or a passion and ability to learn about CCS and related energy challenges, including economics and infrastructure design.
𝗚𝗜𝗦/𝗚𝗜𝗦𝗰𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲: Background and experience with GIS/GIScience.
𝗖𝗼𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴/𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘁𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗰𝘀: Experience or willingness to learn to code in a computer language such as Julia, Python, R, Java, MATLAB, and/or experience in coding-based statistical software, such as R, Python, or SAS.
- 𝗟𝗼𝘄-𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗯𝗼𝗻 𝗘𝗻𝗲𝗿𝗴𝘆: Passion, experience, and willingness to embrace Carbon Solutions’ mission to address low-carbon energy challenges.
If you are interested in joining our team, please send your 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘂𝗺𝗲 and 𝗰𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗹𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 in 𝗣𝗗𝗙 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗺𝗮𝘁 to RS2023email@example.com. In the email, update the Subject Line: [First and Last Name] Research Scientist in Quantitative Social Science. In your cover letter, address all the minimum job requirements, any desired qualifications, and why you would be a good fit for Carbon Solutions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.